Lashes in the Lush

BEAUTY TIPS, TRICKS & TALES FROM THE TROPICS

Friday, August 26, 2016

Too Cute, So Asian & Such Good Quality:
Tony Moly Product Reviews Part I


Tony Moly – I’m addicted to all quirky products of this super cool Korean Brand. Wherever in Asia I find a Tony Moly store -there’s only one in Singapore at Bugis Junction- I stock up seriously on all kinds of their products. With an ever growing collection of Tony Moly makeup and skincare at home that I haven’t tried yet and a trip to Seoul (Korean Cosmetics Heaven – Tony Moly here I come!!!) ahead of me in September it’s time to finally put some products to the test, so that I have a good excuse to double my luggage weight with new stuff when I’ll be visiting Seoul. 

The Korean brand was launched in 2006. According to one source (Tony Moly US website), Korean brand “Tony Moly” translates to “nice and trendy”, whereas Wikipedia says it means "putting style into packaging”. Regardless of the meaning, cult beauty fans all over the world can’t get enough of the too-cute-for-words products.


The only Tony Moly store in Singapore, Bugis Junction, is a treat to visit - big assortment and lovely sales girls that patiently explain everything you want to know about the products


How can anyone resist this level of cuteness and quirkyness?!

The brand has an outstanding ability to blend innovation and must-have cosmetics with brightly coloured, playfully adorable packaging (shaped like bunnies, fruits and vegetables for example). These products add nothing but fun to your daily beauty routine.


Apart from the witty packaging, I find the quality of the products fantastic. Because of the good prices it is very easy to become addicted to this brand. The first three products (many more to come) that anxiously want to come out of my beauty drawer, waiting to be tried and loved, are the following:


PRODUCT 1: Tony Moly – “Petite Bunny” Gloss Bar



This is possibly the cutest product I have ever seen. I love bunnies, I love pink and I love cosmetics, so even if this product doesn’t do anything for me I will just keep looking at it for hours enjoying its cuteness.


There are 9 different bunny varieties, that each have a different colour, facial expression (on the cap) and scent. I’m trying a pink smiling bunny, “#05 Juicy Peach”, that smells sweet and fruity. The Petite Bunny Gloss Bar contains skin-conditioning ingredients (berry complex and Vitamin E) and promises to enhance the moisture levels of your lips, leaving them super-soft with a subtle, non-sticky sheen.  


The bottom of the plastic pencil-like packaging needs to be twisted in order for the actual gloss to emerge. Don’t twist the bar too far up, as it will get stuck and you will not be able to push it back.
I apply the gloss to bare lips for optimal coverage since the colour is very sheen. Texture wise, it feels like a lip balm upon application but once on the lips it feels more like a gloss. Either way, it’s easy to use and comfortable to wear.


I really like the result - very natural, hardly there. Just a hint of a light sweet pink. Only downside is that the product doesn't last long, i.e. after 45 minutes no trace of the product is visible anymore. Doesn't matter though, as it's an absolute pleasure getting the Bunny Gloss Bar out of your purse every hour to reaply!

Tony Moly – Petite Bunny Gloss Bar #05 Juicy Peach
Price: 12,90 SGD

PRODUCT 2: Tony Moly – “Egg Pore” Tightening Cooling Pack



Eggs as an ingredient to tighten pores and smooth out skin are very popular in Korean skincare products. Tony Moly has an entire “Egg Pore” range, with a.o. this Tightening Cooling Pack. On the packaging of the product itself it says: “The enhanced ice corset pore pack tightens open and loose pores seamlessly with a cooling effect that covers the pore”. Sounds somewhat lost in translation to me; I understand the cooling and tightening that the product promises me, but have missed anything about an “enhanced ice corset” (?) so far. 

Also in the Egg Pore series: Blackhead Steam Balm (white) and Silky Smooth Balm (golden)

The product contains egg shell powder, which should help to tighten, clarify and soothe skin. It is further enriched with camellia flower extract, bentonite and kaolin clay to soothe, smoothen, remove dead skin and control sebum. According to the ingredient list it should be perfumed, but it hasn’t got a very distinctive scent. Packaging wise, it’s a bit of a freaky product, this large plastic egg. The beige plastic shell looks like a real (big) egg, and inside egg there’s an extra yellow lid that resembles the egg yolk. The texture of the white product inside the egg turns me off somewhat. I expected to find a smooth emulsion inside the egg, but instead a find a substance that looks like something in between white cement and a foamy dessert that has gone bad. I googled the product to see whether it might have stayed to long in my drawer, but find that it should actually look like this. Yikes. 


I follow the (sparse) directions: “apply an appropriate amount (?) and spread onto loose pores”.  I have no clue where to find my loose pores? I probably have some but it’s a mystery where on my face they might reside. I opt for the area around my nose, as pores are most visible here. 


The application of the product on my face is initially a but messy, because the texture of the pack isn’t smooth and does not really stick to my skin but falls in the sink instead. I learn that I really need to rub it in, and the texture becomes somewhat smoother and easier to apply. Upon application I immediately feel a slight cooling effect. I then need to leave it on for 10-15 minutes till the face pack is completely dry. It dries quickly, which causes a tightening effect in the area where I applied the product. Washing off with luke warm water proofs to be a bit tough but with a towel I am able to get it off my face. And…see no change.  Not my kind of product. 

Tony Moly – “Egg Pore” Tightening Cooling Pack, 30g
Price: 24,90 SGD

PRODUCT 3Tony Moly - Pure Bamboo Cool Water Soothing Gel



This soothing, watery gel is made of fresh Damyang bamboo, which consist for 99% of moisture. In addition, the product contains 18 minerals and amino acid, that promises to calm down the skin and supply moisture. What I love about this product (apart from the cool packaging obviously) is that a) it can be used for both your face and body and b) the texture of the product is very light weight and is absorbed by the skin immediately.


I use this soothing gel a lot on my shoulders and chest area, as these sensitive areas capture quite some sun during the day and need some serious soothing regularly. I love that it makes my skin feel soft and doesn’t leave me with a greasy chest like many regular body lotions do, especially when I sweat. The gel is transparent and is slightly perfumed with a very soft and fresh scent that reminds me of dewy drops of water on bamboo leaves.

Tony Moly – Pure Bamboo Cool Water Soothing Gel, 300ml
Price: 11,90 SGD

Where to buy?


Tony Moly products are available in Singapore at the following locations:
- Official Tony Moly Store, Bugis Junction
- The Shilla Duty Free Cosmetics, Changi Airport

And online (limited assortment) through:
- Althea

In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, there's several Tony Moly stands and shop-in-shops, find them here

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lashes in the Lush | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig