Lashes in the Lush

BEAUTY TIPS, TRICKS & TALES FROM THE TROPICS

Friday, June 3, 2016

Attempts to Weekend Pampering with Skinlite Cooling Cucumber Pads


Slices of cucumber to soothe the skin around your eyes are a true beauty classic - the only disadvantage is that you need to lie down dead still to keep the slippery slices from sliding off your face. In line with Asia’s sheet masks obsession, I came across some Cooling Cucumber Pads with the same benefits for your skin as the real ones but without the mess I suspect... 

I can hear you thinking “why not use real cucumber?!”Well, you can definitely do that to too for a truly natural approach, but for me there are two reasons to try out these eye pads instead. First of all, I find the local Asian cucumbers to be very small, especially the common Japanese and Malay ones; any imported 'regular' sized cucumber from Australia or elsewhere cannot be found everywhere plus these cucumbers are far more expensive than their Asian brothers. Secondly, slices of real cucumber aren’t as flexible as these thin, moist sheets that easily adhere to the shapes of your face seem to be. Sheet mask tend to stick very well to skin, whereas -as said above- real slices of cucumber require you to lie down very still in order to avoid turning yourself into a live salad with pieces of cucumber all over your clothes/bed/sofa etc.

Known skin benefits of cucumber are a.o. to fade dark circles, reduce puffiness under the eyes, treat sunburns and improve the overall complexion.


The Cooling Cucumber Pads come in a reclosable sachet with 10 pre-moistened eye pads (so basically that’s 5 sets  - unless of course you are a pirate): “SKINLITE Cooling Cucumber pads are pre-moistened with real cucumber and other soothing ingredients. When used on top of your eyes, these cucumber pads soothe tired stressed eyes and help reduce puffiness and dark circles.”

Amongst the moisturizing and soothing ingredients are:

  • Alba Bark Extract, also known as Berch. Known for its skin healing and purifying properties, yet it also functions as an astringent;
  • Portulaca oleracea, commonly known as purslane and Ma Chi Xian; anti-inflammatory, used in treatment of burns, skin pain, itching, eczema and acne. 
  • Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract; also known as green tea extract. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The anti-bacterial content of green tea helps with acne and skin blemishes, while the anti-inflammatory properties have been known to help with redness, rosacea, and even psoriasis, making green tea extract an energetic skin restoring agent for any skin type.

To maximize its cooling effect, I placed the sachet into the fridge some hours before usage. I then followed the directions on the pack and washed my face and tried to place the pads over my (closed) eyes (you can also apply them on any other face area), after which I should be able lie back and relax to leave pads on for 10-15 minutes. 

The eye pads aren’t as moist and flexible as I expected however, and they keep falling off my face with the slightest movement – just like real slices of cucumber.


The scent is pleasant and fresh and when the pads stay on my closed eyes for a brief moment it feels very soothing, but soon again I struggle with the patches gliding down my neck. Not a success, at least not better than real cucumbers I mean. Placing the pads on my cheeks or forehead is far easier, but here too I need to lay down very still to keep the pads from moving.

Would I use it again? Nah. The pads are fun in a gimmicky way but don’t proof to have real benefits to me.

Skinlite Cooling Cucumber Pads – sachet with 10 pieces
Price: 1,49 SGD
Available at Sasa Cosmetics (find stores here)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lashes in the Lush | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig